McCort Mirror

Crushers Turn the Town Teal

Bishop McCort students participate in ovarian cancer awareness efforts throughout the month of September. During the thirty days, the Bishop McCort community unites with the Johnstown area to raise awareness for the deadly disease.

To kick off the month, various sports teams, clubs, and groups of students helped decorate the community in teal ribbons. Teal is the color that symbolizes ovarian cancer. In addition, the participators posted signs along the streets explaining the symptoms woman experience before being diagnosed. The McCort campus is covered in ribbons, signs, and other teal paraphernalia.

Every Tuesday of September, administrators report facts, share the warning signs, and update students on upcoming events over the announcements at Bishop McCort. On the first Teal Tuesday, the Laurel Auto Group donated wristbands to all grade levels, so the students can show support the entire month. Second, the Ann Harris Smith Foundation distributed buttons for the participators to sport. In the near future, seventh, eight, and ninth graders will receive an ovarian cancer t-shirt.

The ovarian cancer activities will continue for the remainder of the month. Crimson Crazies also love to celebrate ovarian cancer awareness month by decking out in teal for a home football game. This year’s game will be hosted on September 23rd. Halftime festivities included a balloon release to honor women battling ovarian cancer and t-shirt giveaways.

Branden Rosemas, a senior crimson crazy, says, “I am excited to show my support on Friday. This is close cause for me as I know someone battling this disease.” Bishop McCort will continue the teal activities through the remainder of the month to bring ovarian cancer recognition to the forefront.