The student news site of Bishop McCort High School

McCort Mirror

Crusher Baseball Recap

Anthony Cacciotti and Kylie Collier

The red hot Crushers baseball team is catching fire winning 6 of their last 7 games,bringing them to a 10-7 record. The Crushers started their week off Monday beating visiting opponent Cambria Heights by a score of 9-5. In that game, McCort catcher Boston Bradley had three hits and scored three runs. First baseman, Carmine Cannizzaro also had three hits and scored two runs, while his brother Gabe scored two runs. Shortstop, Ian Fleck contributed to the squad with two hits. Winning pitcher, Bryce Kramer also had two RBIs for the Crushers. To keep it rolling, the Crushers welcomed the 12-3 Somerset Golden Eagles to the Point Stadium in a key LHAC Section 2 match-up. What seemed to start off as a pitcher’s duel turned into a thumping quickly when right fielder, Anthony Cacciotti, hit a 3-run inside the park home run to put the Crushers on top in an 11-1 five-inning victory. In that game, Logan Kasper, star centerfielder, had three hits and scored two runs. Boston Bradley, Bryce Kramer, and Ian Fleck each had two hits a piece while Fleck scored two runs. Designated hitter, Carmine Cannizzaro helped himself and added two RBIs. Brett Seitz picked up the win, fanning seven Somerset batters in five innings. To finish the week off and get to the 10 win column, the Crushers faced off against long time foe, the Westmont Hilltop Hilltoppers. The Crushers got off to an early start by scoring six runs in the first inning. The Crushers’ defense got to sit back and relax, as winning pitcher Brenden Lavely struck out eight batters in 4.2 innings of work. Ian Fleck led the squad with two hits and three RBIs, Carmine Cannizzaro also had three RBIs. Logan Kasper had two runs and to top him, Chris Miller had three runs. The Crushers took this one easily by defeating Westmont 13-3 in 5 innings. The Bishop McCort baseball team looks to finish their season off on a good note playing yet again another three consecutive game week. They start with cross town rival, Johnstown at the Johnstown Middle School on Monday at 4:30 P.M. Tuesday night your Crushers welcome the Ferndale Yellow Jackets to a 7:00 P.M. start time. Tuesday will also be senior night as the team will recognize their 10 seniors. Last but not least, McCort welcomes another WestPAC team to town, facing off against the Red Raiders from Meyersdale. The Crusher baseball team is calling for your support as they have a huge week in front of them!