The student news site of Bishop McCort High School

McCort Mirror

Meet Mr. Smith

How are your experiences different at Bishop McCort than Richland and Johnstown?

• Mr. Smith responded, “There are not as many kids in this school as the other schools. It is much easier for us to take control of our problems and counsel kids, if needed.” Also, he said that religion does not need to be hidden at Bishop McCort/Divine Mercy.

What made you come to Bishop McCort?

• Mr. Smith went to school here as a high school student. He wanted to come back because it was such a great environment. Also, his two daughters, Keyli and Mikayla, attend Bishop McCort and enjoy their time here. He believes that this school has a strong passion, good faith, and has many great people.

What is your job?

• Tom Smith is principal of Divine Mercy Catholic Academy. In addition, he works as an assistant coach on Bishop McCort’s football team. He works alongside with Mr. Cotchen and Mr. Fleming. So far, things are going very well at his new job. Mr. Smith is housed at Bishop McCort, and he oversees both east and west campuses.

If you could, would you go back to Richland or Johnstown?

•  Mr. Smith said that he does not plan on leaving after his kids graduate. He feels that there is a lot of work to be done and does not see himself leaving anytime soon. Mr. Smith has a vision for the school system and is going to do everything in his power to see it through.

What made you enter the field of education?

• Mr. Smith originally thought of becoming a teacher because of the positive impact his teachers at Bishop McCort had on him. After graduating from high school, he went to college and decided he wanted major on business. His second year at college, he decided that teaching was his real passion. He now has a job that deals with business and teaching and has everything that he ever wanted in his career.

How are our sports programs different?

• Mr. Smith explained that faith separates Bishop McCort/Divine Mercy from the public schools. For example, Bishop McCort/Divine Mercy teams pray before and after competitions. Schools are similar in that kids are kids and all strive for greatness.