The student news site of Bishop McCort High School

McCort Mirror

Mr. Cotchen Returns to McCort

Many Bishop McCort students were thrilled by the news of former biology teacher/dean of discipline, Mr. Cotchen, was returning for the new year. I had the pleasure of getting to interview him for his big return.

Q: What was your last year at McCort and what former positions did you hold before you left? Did you enjoy them?

A: 2015-2016 would have been my last year. I was the Dean of Discipline and I was also the freshman biology threader before my departure. Obviously, I very much enjoyed teaching, but I also did enjoy the discipline side of it, I know that’s weird but I really liked it. I think if kids know the expectations, even if they don’t agree with the rules, things should be pretty seamless as far as discipline and maintaining order in the school go.

Q: Where was your new job? And what position did you hold there? Was it a whole new experience compared to what you were used to?

A: I got a new job at Chestnut Ridge.  I taught physiology, anatomy, and physiology. It was a very different experience, but I have no complaints. I enjoyed the kids at Chestnut Ridge, I enjoyed working with the faculty, but obviously, It wasn’t the same as what I experienced at Bishop McCort. So when I saw the job opening in December, I jumped on it immediately.

Q: How did you feel about your new job in comparison to your time at McCort?

A: Chestnut Ridge had a very close-knit community as well. However, living 45 minutes away made it difficult to get involved in anything after school, as far of a drive that it was.

Q: What made you come back to McCort? What influenced you to say to yourself “I need to go back to this school.”

A: It’s hard to put into words, the McCort experience. The family orientation that we have here, the cohesiveness that we have, that we are all one big family. You know, not all family members always see eye-to-eye, but it’s just a different feel to the educational feeling here at McCort. It’s truly one of a kind.

Q: Since you’re back at McCort, have things changed much around here in your eyes? Are these positive changes?

A: We’re not trying to re-invent the wheel. Whatever works, we’re gonna keep, and whatever doesn’t work we’re gonna try to change to make it work better. So, if we can communicate better with parents, and communicate better with teachers and students, then usually there are fewer questions. Kids know my expectations of them, and what I want to see them be in life. This makes it all easier because most of the students know me, are getting to know me, and I know most of their families already.

Q: You are currently both assistant principal and athletic director, what’s it like working both jobs?  Do you like one better than the other?

A: I’d say I like them equally. You know I love the educational setting here and being in the classrooms observing, really making myself visible to the students. But I also love sports in general, so being there to support the student-athletes is a wonderful thing as well.  Even though it does take up a lot of time to do both, it’s time worthwhile.

Q Now that you’re back in action, what do you see in the future of Bishop McCort? Will you be focusing primarily on enforcing current policies/changing them/bringing anything back?

A: I mean really we’re just trying to provide the best education we can. When we provide a quality education, people will come here and stay here. So if we give them something that they can’t get anywhere else, while making them happy with their overall education at the same time, then we know we’re gonna keep those individuals in our school and increase enrollment. We’re also incorporating more technology, with the launch of Moodle, which is an online learning platform that allows our students to continue learning even where they’re not in school. It also gives our teachers new ways to keep our students informed. As always we are pushing for that one-to-one initiative so that every student has their own electronic device so that every student is prepared to learn in different manners that college brings them.

Q: What is your favorite part of being back at Bishop McCort?

A: I think that’s just that, it’s being back. Being back with the students, faculty, families, community, and really turning a corner and making McCort into what I’ve always wanted it to be, a college preparatory school. One that people wanna come too, and have a great time.