McCort Mirror

Biography of Deacon Becker: The Bruce Files

231975756003102

231975756003102

John Isenberg and Greg Kutsick

As  students, many can agree on one thing regarding their experience at Bishop McCort: Deacon Becker is a modern legend. Through his stories told in the classroom, Deacon Becker never fails to leave his listeners on the edge of their seats. Given this common truth, we think it is only common decency to shed light on this great man’s story. Our elite team of journalist set out to confront the man himself, and the stories that followed were unbelievable.

Although he is ageless, Bruce Becker was born in Johnstown PA in 1950 to a poor working class family. Bruce lived out his early years in Indiana PA, because of his father’s involvement in the construction industry. A few years later, due to a close family tragedy, Bruce moved back to Johnstown, and eventually attended Bishop McCort. As a young teen, DB embraced the culture of his time. As stated from our interview, “I lived in the time of flower power, with hair down to my shoulders.” Bruce became involved in the peace movement by participating in war protests to express his belief in “love not war.” He also spent his time dominating on the ice as a skilled Crusher hockey player. Had it not been for this, his path might have lead him elsewhere. When it came time for Becker to graduate in 1968, he took his skill to the next level. Studying Pre-Law at Saint Francis University, DB became both a dedicated student and skilled athlete. By putting himself through college working construction on the side, Bruce successfully mastered the field of Administrative Law. After his first official job teaching at Richland High School, and getting married in 1976 to start his young family, Bruce began to seek employment in the field of Government. Bruce began working for the Energy Research Development Administration which got his foot in the door to more promising jobs to come. In the following years, DB built up his personal experience by working in various county, state and federal government jobs. As Deacon Becker would say, “I got around.” After fulfilling the title of Administrative Law Judge for 5 years, and obtaining a lofty job opportunity in Pittsburgh, Bruce left the bench to peruse his true calling; the Catholic Faith. DB began his quest for religious vocation. Alongside this, Deacon Becker also perfected his teaching skills, as he traveled to schools such as Mount Aloysius, and Saint Francis. There he instructed students on religion, and philosophy; eventually teaching his most famous class, “Jesus in the Fourth Dimension.” After many years of education and teaching, Bruce finally reached the position of Deacon in 2008. In the years to follow, DB gained religious experience as well as began to teach full-time at Bishop McCort. All in all, no matter what life threw at Bruce, he remained a determined person, and never stopped looking to improve other’s lives. This is also the very reason we find his personal story so intriguing.

Some things you may not know about Bruce come from the athletic side. Throughout his life, DB has always been an active person and took an interest in self-defense early on, as an offshoot of his hockey career. Studying under rigorous combat instructors, DB became polished in martial arts. He would come to achieve a 5th degree black belt in the art of Tang Soo Do. His skills would also come to benefit him in helping out attempts to ward off unwanted local cult activity. Concurrent to this topic, we also asked DB about any noteworthy experience that could be considered “wild” or “crazy.” He then proceeded to take us back to his hockey days, in which he successfully blocked a “3 on 0” attack, further cementing himself as Bruce “the Bruiser” Becker, on and off the ice.

Concluding our interview, we asked Deacon Becker what he was most proud of, as a closing statement. The one thing Bruce wishes for us to take away from his biography is that he did everything for the common goal of helping others. As Catholics, we strongly agree with this profound way of thinking and thank him for letting us listen in on his life story.