McCort Mirror

Breast Cancer Soccer Game

Sierra Harper, Andrea Flynn, and Writer

On October 12, 2017, the Bishop McCort boys soccer team took on the Westmont Hilltoppers. The game was at the Point Stadium. The Crushers went in with a record of 11-3. Earlier in the season, the crushers went head to head with the Hilltoppers defeating them 2-1 in overtime. The Crushers took this game as an opportunity to support breast cancer. Mr. & Mrs. James & Linda Mowry, Marcus Irwin’s (#7) grandparents donated special jerseys with a theme of pink to the team. All of the money collected at the gate would be donated to the Joyce Murtha Breast Cancer Foundation. There was a table set up for donations with candy, cookies, boom boom sticks, and breast cancer pins. The team didn’t stop there, they honored three beautiful women who are survivors of breast cancer. Tanner Thomas’s (#23) grandma was honored and given flowers by her son Coach Thomas and grandson Tanner. Nick Musciola’s (#19) mother was recognized but couldn’t attend the game. The last survivor recognized was Marcus Irwin’s (#7) mother Tanya Irwin. She was given flowers by her husband Coach Irwin and son Marcus. After the presentation of the survivors, the team presented a check for $1,000 to the Joyce Murtha Breast Cancer Foundation.

The starting lineup for our crushers was as follows:

Net- Anthony Spinelli (#15)
Defense- Marcus Irwin (#7) Cole Berkebile (#6) David Gacka (#38) Matt Boschele (#11)
Midfield- Jarod Diamond (#20) Luke Conahan (#16) Ben Seidel (#9) Jake Horwath (#18)
Striker- Bryon Gephart (#36) Tanner Thomas (#23)
The game began and the boys were on fire! Sadly, the Westmont Hilltoppers scored first and the score was 0-1 Westmont. We came back and Matt Boschele (#11) scored! This tied the game up 1-1. The first half ended and the teams and had a 10-minute half-time. The second half started and senior Tanner Thomas (#23) scored the game-winning goal for the Crushers. Our boys ended the game with a 12-3 record and are continuing to wear their breast cancer jerseys. Their goal of promoting breast cancer awareness is continuing to pay off.