McCort Mirror

Where’s Spring?

Mattie Updyke, Writer

Spring is one of the nicest seasons we experience here at Bishop McCort. The sun is out, the snow and cold fall away and the warming weathers help anticipate the excitement for summer break. By mid-April, the flowers in the trees have begun blooming, and even though many of us are affected by spring allergies, the green that begins to spread across the mountains helps lift the mood of everyone in the building.

Despite this, the cold has raged on, and our winter has not faded into spring just yet. Punxsutawney Phil said in February that there would be six more weeks of winter, but I think his estimation was off. It has been more like ten weeks, filled with bitter cold, snow, and miserable feelings. A hard winter with many snow days and cancellations (which we have to make up) seems like it has been never-ending, and it really has not. Johnstown began having cold temperatures and snowfall as early as the end of November, and ever since the weather has been frigid and heavy. Multiple Nor’easters have taken over the northeast region of the country, and we have gotten up to 8 inches of snow!

By this time in April, it should not be extremely warm, but a little above the freezing point! The mountains are still bare, and the trees that are budding have frozen buds due to the cold temperatures. While we hopefully have seen the last of the snowfall after the this past weekend’s, it is still freezing and it does not look to get warm and stay warm for a while (Saturday’s proposed heat wave of 75 not included.) Spring is a beautiful season, but it would be nice for it to be on time.