McCort Mirror

AP Testing

Mattie Updyke, Writer

As we grow closer and closer to fun events like HonorsFest, prom, and the end of the school year, there is one thing that looms over the advanced placement students here at McCort-AP testing.

Here at McCort, when you take an advanced placement class you must test out (or apply for dual enrollment credits and take a final). Most of these classes are targeted towards juniors and seniors, and many take multiple AP courses. Here at McCort, we offer AP English Literature, AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Statistics, AP US History, AP US Government, AP Physics I, II, and C, AP Chemistry, AP Biology, and AP Art: Studio Drawing*. Some courses, like APUSH or AP English are only offered to juniors or seniors, but most of the other courses are mixed between the two grades.

These tests are rough (the test for AP US History is three hours and fifteen minutes long) and  filled with multiple choices, short answer, and essays. There are variations between the different tests, but most follow a similar format. These students are required to have an in-depth understanding of the topic they have chosen, and the test was created to be able to showcase this.

Test scores are released in July from the College Board, and are graded on a scale of 1-5. Your score shows your understanding of the subject, and a score of 3 or higher makes a student eligible for college credit. Despite getting a 1 just for filling out your information, many students end up in the 2-4 scale.

Due to all the snow days, many courses are cramming to cover all the material before the first week of testing begins May 7-11. For the classes that have completed all the material on the test, the reviews have begun. Good luck to all the students preparing for the exams!